Winter has arrived. We got our first dusting of snow last night.
Although I am not the biggest fan of winter (no, that’s not accurate, I hate it) I have to admit that the first snowfall does have its appeal.
A brisk walk outside and even I can appreciate the crispness in the air. It is refreshing and invigorating to feel the cold air.
For those of us who aren’t winters biggest fans, the first snowfall can remind of us of the additional work winter brings. The winter prep list can seem daunting at first but it is manageable, and essential for safety in the cold months. Here are a few of the items to remember to check off your list:
- Have a shovel or a plan for snow removal in mind
- Store or sand to melt ice
- Get those summer tires changed to winter tires
- Dig out the warm winter clothes
It’s not all work and no play. Here are a few ideas to enjoy along with your first snow:
- Holiday beverage from your coffee shop. Yup, its that time to indulge in peppermint or candy cane delights. London fog for tea lovers too!
- Winter accessories are in. Bust out your favourite hat, scarf and gloves to accentuate your look. The snow means you can dig up your warm and fuzzy socks and comfy boots too!
- Cozy up next to that special someone and enjoy the warmth of a fireplace.
Children on the other hand will likely greet the first snow with unmatched enthusiasm. They tend to see the wonder in the occurrence from the shapes of the snowflakes to the way they can stick on your nose or tongue for a moment before melting. They enjoy the crunch of the snow rather that being embarrassed about the first wipe-out. And of course, the first snow means snow days are undoubtedly on their way.
Here are few first snow activities to try with your little one:
- Decorate your playhouse. If you still have one outside, winterize it with some holiday decorations.
- Still have some bubble makers from the summer? Take them outside and have the children blow frozen bubbles. They will enjoy watching the bubbles freeze on the stick.
- Enjoy a Christmas movie! Netflix already has the classic holiday flicks up to watch along with a hot chocolate.
This is the time to enjoy the first of many winter snowfalls.